Mistakes people make when buying Motorcycle Insurance in New Jersey
People have different reasons why they prefer to have a motorcycle as their mode of transportation. Aside from the fact that it is more affordable than 4-wheel vehicles, a motorcycle is more convenient to use and can bring you anywhere without getting stuck in the middle of a traffic road. You can pass on a narrow street when an emergency happens and you have to be at your destination as soon as possible. Others prefer motorcycle as their partner with every adventure. Riding a motorcycle is fun, exciting, and thrilling.
As someone who owns a motorcycle, getting insurance is highly recommended. Just like owning a car, you have to protect yourself, your passengers, as well as your investment as you use your motorcycle each day. You must get insurance for a motorcycle that will keep you protected as you take the road with your bike.
Requirements for Motorcycle Insurance
Most states require every motorcycle owner to purchase liability insurance on motorcycle. With liability coverage, you don’t have to worry about the possible bodily injury liability or property damage that can incur during an accident. This is the importance of motorcycle insurance. It can remove some of the burdens that you will have when you get involved in an accident and caused another party’s injury or even death. The recommended limit of liability insurance must be the same as the minimum requirements for car insurance in New Jersey. You can check out your state’s minimum requirements and keep your insurance updated each time you renew your New Jersey insurance policy.
Some motorcycle owners consider purchasing additional liability that cannot be covered by their basic New Jersey insurance of motorcycle. This extra purchase will protect your assets if ever the injured party files a lawsuit against you. Keep in mind that the minimum liability limits of your insurance for a motorcycle will not cover your legal costs as well as claims when someone sues you, and your assets can be the target of creditors. Additionally, you must review your insurance quote or policy and confirm from your insurance company about the coverage of bodily injury liability for your passengers. You must ensure that your passenger is covered before you take the road with your motorcycle.
Options for Motorcycle Insurance Coverage
When you check the quote or coverage options for New Jersey motorcycle insurance, you will discover that they are very similar to the standard auto insurance of the state. Aside from the additional liability as well as uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, most New Jersey insurance companies will offer you the following options:
- Collision – This coverage will pay for the different damages, such as property damage and bodily injury liability, that can happen to your motorcycle, but it comes with a deductible amount. You set this deductible when you buy your insurance in New Jersey and this amount will be deducted each time you submit a claim.
- Comprehensive – this coverage will pay for the damages incurred that are not related to a collision with another vehicle, and it includes animal collisions. Also, it pays out when your motorcycle has been stolen. Keep in mind that deductible also applies to this coverage.
- Medical Payments – This coverage is very important since it can cover the cost of medical bills when you and your passenger get involved in an accident and end up in the hospital. However, medical payment is not similar to personal injury protection since it will not cover lost wages as well as other costs. We all know that riding in a motorcycle comes with double risks than driving an auto. That’s why you need medical payments to keep you protected from the possible hospital expenses in case of accidents.
- Personal Injury Protection – This coverage will pay out for your medical bills, your passenger, and even for the medical bills of pedestrians who got involved in the accident. Whoever is at fault or caused the accident will not affect that coverage of PIP.
Some add-ons are also available with different New Jersey insurance companies. You can avail of one or more of these coverage options as part of your standard policies. Some of these add-ons come with limit and applies deductibles.
- Trip Interruption Coverage – with this coverage, your New Jersey insurance will pay for the cost of lodging, food, and even transportation when your motorcycle is disabled due to collision and you are ware from home. Most policy defined the distance as 100 miles or more.
- Coverage for Accessories, Equipment, and other Custom Parts – you can choose to cover your bike’s accessories, equipment, and other custom parts by purchasing add-ons from your New Jersey insurance provider. This comprehensive and collision insurance typically covers around $3,000. But this amount may vary, depending on the desire for your preference.
- Roadside Assistance – with this coverage, you don’t have to worry whenever your motorcycle breaks down while on the road. Your insurance company will help you with towing and labor at the site as long as you have this add on in your policy.
Discounts on Motorcycle Insurance
Similar to New Jersey auto insurance, there are several ways that you can do to get discounts with your motorcycle insurance. Here are some of the tips that we got from the experts and those who have been using bikes for many years.
- Purchase your New Jersey insurance on a motorcycle along with other insurance from the same company. Other insurance can be New Jersey homeowners insurance or renters insurance.
- Keep a clean driving record. Your insurance provider will be happy to know that you have no record of a motorcycle accident and they will be pleased to offer you some discounts on your New Jersey motorcycle insurance coverage.
- If you own multiple bikes, get their insurances from the same company.
- Enroll on a motorcycle rider training course and complete it with a good standing.
- Join any motorcycle riders organization.
- If you are more than 55 years old or have been a longtime driver, you can ask for a mature rider discount from your New Jersey motorcycle insurance company.
How to Find the Best Motorcycle Insurance in New Jersey
You will have a lot of options when you start looking for a New Jersey motorcycle insurance. But you must be careful in picking your preferred company since your motorcycle insurance will play a huge part in your life as a motorcycle rider. Do your research and always ask questions about your policy, especially with its coverage on property damage and bodily injury liability. Be informed with your coverage so you know when you can use your policy and maximize its benefits.
Ready to Start?
Our New Jersey Motorcycle Insurance agents are ready to for your guidance.