Everything You Need to Know About Commercial Truck Insurance in Maryland
Most Maryland truckers have had to cut costs and find opportunities to save money in every aspect of their business. Not only does East Insurance Group have opportunities to save Maryland truckers on other aspects of trucking, but we also can save truckers on truck insurance.
We have been saving truckers money on Maryland truck insurance for years now. We also save customers money on trucking insurance in Maryland cities like:
Here’s what you need to know about commercial truck insurance in Maryland.
Types of Commercial Truck Insurance in Maryland
There are some types of Maryland truck insurance that are mandatory, such as primary liability. On the other hand, coverages like physical damage or bobtail insurance are recommended to truck owners as a good way to protect their assets.
- Primary Liability Coverage: This type of insurance is mandatory for all commercial trucks. The policy covers bodily injuries and property damages. Truck drivers who don’t have this insurance risk large fines and penalties.
- General Liability Coverage: Whether you are on or off the road and regardless of the size of your business, this type of policy is always a good idea as it covers risks to your business outside of using your truck for business purposes.
- Physical Damage Coverage: This type of policy covers your truck in case it gets damaged, and that includes vandalism, fire, and theft.
- Bobtail Coverage: This type of coverage pays for property damage or injuries to others that you caused while the trailer of the truck was detached from it.
- Medical Payments Coverage: The policy offers payments for injuries to you, your employees, or anyone riding the truck with your approval.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Uninsured motorist coverage is mandatory in Maryland. It covers payments for damages to your truck caused by another vehicle that doesn’t have enough insurance or doesn’t have any insurance.
- Workers’ Comp Coverage: This type of policy covers your truck drivers in case they get injured while driving the truck for you.
Maryland Truck Insurance Requirements
Maryland state law requires local truckers and new ventures to have a certain amount of liability insurance such as semi-truck insurance. The amount you need is determined by the type of freight you carry and where you carry it. If you never leave the state and your truck is more than 10,000 GVW, you must get an intrastate only USDOT Number and maintain a minimum level of insurance:
Liability Insurance (Hazmat)
Liability Insurance (Household Goods)
Liability Insurance (General Freight)
Liability Insurance (Oil Transport)
Maryland commercial truck insurance requirements for Maryland truck drivers who cross state lines are a little more complicated. In addition to the above, you must meet all the DOT truck insurance requirements recommended by the federal government. Most federal liability limits are $750,000 or $1,000,000.
Both Maryland and the US DOT require certain filings to be submitted by your insurance agent. The insurance agent or company will fill out and submit these filings for you. These forms tell the government that all your semi-truck insurance requirements are fulfilled. They must be filed before you can get your authority. Some common forms include:
- Form MCS-93
- Form H
- The BMC-94
How Much Does Truck Insurance Cost In Maryland?
The average cost for commercial truck insurance in Maryland is $17,510. Maryland truck insurance quotes are based on several factors, such as the type of cargo you are hauling, your driving history, and years of experience you have behind you.
As a combination of specific vehicle insurance policies created to meet the needs of your trucking business, commercial trucks in insurance in Maryland can help you cover your most valuable business assets in the case of an accident.
Are you still confused about commercial truck insurance in Maryland or do you need some help with getting a quote for your business? Contact us today and get all the information you need fast and for free!
Ready to Start?
Our insurance agents are available to guide you.
MD truck insurance Coverage
MD Truck Insurance cities
We offer maryland truck insurance in all cities in Maryland including:
- Silver Spring
- Glen Burnie
- Aspen Hill
- Bel Air South
- North Bethesda
- Severna Park