Trailer Interchange Insurance

Trailer Interchange Coverage Basics: Everything You Need to Know


Imagine this scenario. You’re hauling a trailer when you stop and park the vehicle to either refuel, grab a quick bite, or use the washroom at the gas station. While doing any of these activities, your truck gets stolen.

Now, apart from the problem of the theft itself, there are other issues you’ll need to deal with. Since the trailer you were hauling doesn’t belong to you, it cannot be covered by comprehensive insurance policies or property damage insurance. This is where something known as “trailer interchange coverage” comes into play.

Three white trucks parked on the side of the road.

What is Trailer Interchange Insurance?

 In short, trailer interchange coverage pays for the physical damage of your non-owned trailer. Usually, this insurance policy can be added to commercial auto insurance or a trucker’s liability policy.  

For example, truckers sometimes need to transfer loads to another trucking company for various reasons. If the load or the trailer carrying the load is damaged due to some reason during this process, trailer interchange insurance coverage pays for this damage. Therefore, trailer interchange insurance covers any damage that is caused to a trailer that isn’t owned (non-owned trailer) which is under the care of a trucker/operator while it is under a written trailer interchange agreement.

This coverage can be purchased by independent truckers or the trucking company that needs to transfer goods. However, this type of insurance is becoming less common these days as trailer interchange agreements are reducing in number. Instead, less formal agreements are made in such cases, where a “non-owned trailer physical damage” policy would be required instead.

What Does Trailer Interchange Insurance Cover

Basically, the trailer interchange coverage insures trailers that truckers use. It covers the following:

  • Physical damage during loading and unloading
  • Wreckage
  • Theft
  • Fire
  • Vandalism
  • Any other physical damage

Sometimes, shippers and motor carriers require trailer interchange insurance before you can do any business with them.

How Much Does Trailer Interchange Coverage Cost?

 Trailer interchange coverage cost usually depends on a few factors, including the limit and the deductible amount you choose. On average, the policy can cost anywhere between $100-1,500 a year. Many factors influence the cost of trailer interchange insurance, such as location, the value of the damaged equipment, the driving record of the trucker, and any loss history.

What Trailer Interchange Coverage Doesn’t Cover

On average, the limit required by non owned trailer coverage is anywhere between $20,000-30,000, with a deductible of $1,000. The key to choosing the right limit is assessing the actual cash value of the trailer. Remember, insurance companies will only pay the value of the trailer and not the entire limit of the policy, in the case of an accident. Therefore, ensure you don’t waste money with too high a limit while also ensuring you don’t lose money by under-insuring and then having to pay from your own pocket.

Do I Need Trailer Interchange Insurance?

If you belong to one of the following groups, trailer interchange insurance can be highly beneficial to you:

  • Intermodal Truckers: Intermodal truckers are those covered by the UIIA Agreement (the Uniform Intermodal Interchange and Facilities Access Agreement). The UIIA requires member truckers to be covered by trailer interchange insurance, with the amount depending on the provider of the equipment.
  • Power-Only Drivers: Power-only drivers are generally hired to haul empty trailers as a loadout. Such drivers are expected to be covered by trailer interchange insurance before they are hired.
  • Leased Operators: Sometimes, leased drivers are expected to have trailer interchange insurance. Always check with the company if this is required.
  • Independent Owner/Operators: Many times, independent owners/operators will have to pull trailers under a trailer interchange agreement as they cannot be protected by physical damage insurance (as they don’t own the trailer). Thus, trailer interchange coverage is a good option.

Insurance for the first two categories can take some effort. Trailer owners will have to be listed on the insurance as certificate holders, which means that every time a new shipper comes into the picture, a new certificate needs to be added. It is, therefore, important to find an insurance provider who can do this quickly for you.

Non-Owned Trailer Coverage vs Trailer Interchange Insurance

There is a difference between these two types of insurance policies. Non-owned trailer insurance coverage comes into the picture for a non-owned trailer only when it is attached to an owned or covered power unit. Trailer interchange insurance, on the other hand, covers all liabilities with regard to the trailer when in possession of the trucker, though it requires the trailer interchange agreement to be in effect in the first place.

Other Types of Interchange Insurance

Collision Insurance

If you thought that this insurance policy protects your vehicle in the case of collisions, you guessed right! Collision insurance protects your vehicle if ever it is damaged in an accident or collision, covering the repair or replacement costs, in case:

  • Your vehicle collides with another object
  • Your vehicle rolls or turns over due to the impact of the collision

Comprehensive Insurance

Also referred to as “Comp” and “Other Than Collision” (OTC) policy, comprehensive insurance fills in the gaps that collision insurance has left behind. Thus, comprehensive insurance provides coverage to your vehicle if it is damaged due to any reason other than a collision. This means that it provides coverage in the following cases:

  • Theft
  • Fire
  • Riots
  • Hail, windstorms, water, or flooding
  • Explosions, including earthquakes
  • Vandalism
  • Damage caused by birds or any type of animals
  • Breakage of glass
  • Damage due to any missiles (military missiles excluded) or falling object

Combined Additional Coverage with Fire and Theft

This type of coverage is similar to the coverage provided by comprehensive insurance policies, except that it is more limited. This insurance only provides coverage in certain situations where damage is not caused by collisions and does not cover windshield claims. This type of insurance coverage was originally designed for the trucking industry.

It is important to remember that each type of coverage only covers for specific causes of damage and can be purchased separately at the cost of your insurance costs rising. The more coverage you have, the higher the insurance cost.

Finally, no individual really wishes for their car to be damaged or have to be repaired. Therefore, when an insurance policy provides coverage for many situations, it is best to use it! If you’re looking to safeguard your vehicle, physical damage coverage is right for you.

Or, if you have a loan or lease on your vehicle, physical damage coverage is a smart choice as it can protect you from many expenses in the case of accidents. It is even required to have physical damage insurance when you lease a vehicle or take a loan to purchase it. In the latter case, the company or financial institution that issues the lease/loan is listed as a “loss payee” in your account, meaning that if your car is damaged extensively, the company will pay the balance of the loan to help reduce your financial burdens and expenses.

However, if your vehicle has been already paid for, physical damage coverage is only optional. That’s why it is always better to have trailer interchange coverage and combine it with other types of policies depending on your specific needs.

Did you like this article? If you thought that it was helpful, make sure you read more about Tow Truck Insurance as well!