Starting your trucking business or your career as a truck driver without proper insurance is one of the most complicated things you can do.
Unlike many other businesses and careers out there, truck driving is quite unpredictable. You cannot expect what you may encounter on the way. We are talking about accidents, emergencies, and other issues.
Therefore, you need the most comprehensive trucking insurance package as you get started. As you can guess, though, the trucking insurance market is pretty much saturated. It means there are so many companies that make similar clients. But, if you are looking for trusted companies in the market, Progressive Trucking Insurance is a name that you cannot ignore.
The commercial truck insurance from Progressive has gained much popularity in the past years. It is also the go-to option for many customers when they need maximum protection and coverage options for their single truck or a fully-fledged fleet.
But here is the question: is Progressive Trucking Insurance worth all the hype? Is it the best commercial truck insurance you can get today? Well, we wanted to help out.
In the following Progressive Trucking Insurance review, we have examined the background, total coverage, pricing, and other features of the insurance provider. We hope this review will help you make an informed decision about the service.
We will begin with an overview of the company background because it matters a lot in every insurance-related transaction.
Progressive Commercial, better known as Progressive, is one of the most popular insurance agencies in the United States market. The company has been offering comprehensive commercial insurance packages since its inception.
The company has also grabbed the top position as one of the best commercial auto insurers in the United States. As of now, Progressive Commercial is also a Fortune 200 company. These recognitions are a result of the legacy and the service quality from the company for sure. The history of Progressive tells us a lot about this legacy.
Progressive Commercial launched its services in 1937 by Joseph Lewis and Jack Green. At the time of starting, the company was known as Progressive Mutual Insurance Company.
However, even then, the founders made the company provide cost-effective auto insurance packages to all vehicle owners. However, after spending a few decades in the market, Progressive stepped up the game to include commercial auto insurance in its significant offerings.
Since 1971, the company has offered high-quality yet affordable commercial auto insurance to various individuals and organizations across the United States.
Like other commercial auto insurance providers, Progressive Commercial has also added modern options to the package. For instance, customers can now pay the insurance premium via the online dashboard. There are also options to get the quote and other support via connecting to an agent.
The company has also made changes to the coverage options in each insurance package. The company even offers claims service, which we will talk about in a while. Long story short, Progressive Trucking Insurance has continually upgraded its services to catch up with customers’ requirements.
It is worth noting that Progressive Commercial and Progressive are part of the same main company. You can get enterprise-level options like commercial auto insurance, business insurance, general liability insurance, business owners’ policy, professional liability insurance, and cyber insurance from Progressive Commercial.
On the other hand, if you are looking for car insurance, homeowner’s insurance, RV insurance, snowmobile insurance, or boat insurance, you can find a solution with Progressive. You can also find additional insurance options like umbrella insurance and life insurance from the same company.
It means you have an option to rely on Progressive for all your insurance needs. On the other hand, because commercial and personal insurance has separate platforms, you can get exceptional care for all services you will need. Last but not least, the company has high ratings from BBB and Moody’s, to mention a few.
Now, we will look at the types of insurance coverage that you get from Progressive Trucking Insurance.
Here comes the exciting part. Progressive Trucking Insurance offers customized commercial insurance plans for different customers. Therefore, the coverage options will depend on the insurance package you selected in the first place.
We will look at the three major types of commercial truck insurance packages and coverage options from them.
Owner Operators Insurance
The following types of coverage are available if you belong to the owner-operator category. You can get the benefits if you have taken the vehicle under a permanent lease or have the truck under your control.
Of course, there could be some differences based on your choice among the dualities.
- Non-trucking liability can offer you protection when you use the truck for non-commercial purposes. It means you can stay protected even when the truck is not under dispatch.
- Physical damage coverage helps you cover the repair or replacement cost in case of accidents or theft.
- Trailer interchange is a type of damage coverage for trailers carried under the purview of a trailer interchange program.
- Liability is another coverage system that can help you pay for bodily injury and property damage that you may have caused while driving the truck. It is applicable when the trucks are under control.
- Physical Damage is a particular type of coverage that protects your vehicle against damages that may occur due to accidents, collisions, natural emergencies, etc.
- Motor Truck Cargo coverage offers enhanced protection for the load that you are carrying using the motor truck.
- Motor Truck General Liability is a general layer of protection against injuries or property damage that your truck may cause indirectly.
Motor Carrier Insurance
You can get the following types of coverage if you insure your motor carrier company using Progressive. You can see that some of the coverage options are not available in the previous case.
There could be differences based on the state where your company is located.
It would be best if you kept in mind that the options we have added below are in addition to liability insurance, bodily injury insurance, and property damage insurance, which are mandatory in most states. You may also have to get non-trucking liability insurance in some cases.
- Physical Damage coverage can provide you insurance against accidents, collisions, and disasters. You can also combine this policy with a comprehensive insurance package or fire insurance.
- Medical Payment Insurance will cover the medical bills and treatment costs of people who travel in the trucks during the accident.
- Uninsured Motorist Insurance is a helpful thing when you encounter an accident with an uninsured motorist. If the motorist’s insurance cannot cover your damages, it will come in useful.
- Motor Truck Cargo Insurance, as we mentioned earlier, can cover the damages caused to the cargo you are carrying.
Private Carrier Insurance
You can choose Private Carrier Insurance if you work as a private carrier.
As you may know, you have to bear the responsibility of the truck and the cargo that you have at the time. In this case, Progressive Commercial offers the following coverage options.
- Liability insurance is a combination of Bodily Injury Liability Insurance and Property Damage Liability coverage.
- Physical damage, often combined with collision, comprehensive, and fire-and-theft packages, would offer total protection from accidents.
- Medical Payment Insurance will cover the medical bills of the driver and other passengers on a truck when an accident occurs.
So, these are the insurance options you can choose from Progressive Commercial.
Now, we will look at the cost of getting the right protection package from Progressive Trucking Insurance.
It will help you decide whether Progressive Trucking Insurance is the best choice for your needs.
As you can guess, Progressive Trucking Insurance follows the online-quote system to determine the costs of the insurance package. However, the company has talked about the average costs of a commercial auto insurance package.
Progressive Trucking Insurance says commercial for-hire truck insurance costs $640 and $982 for specialty trucks and transportation trucks, respectively, in 2020.
Therefore, when you get an insurance package from Progressive Trucking Insurance, you can expect to pay more than these rates.
However, the truth is that you may have to pay higher or lower depending on many factors. Some of them are:
- USDOT authority
- Contractual requirements
- Cargo type
- Vehicle type
- Driving history and rating
- Location of the business
- Radius of operation
For instance, if you have an excellent driving history with minimal accidents and other issues, you can get lower premiums without a problem.
On the other hand, you may have to pay extra if you approach Progressive Trucking Insurance with not-so-great driving history and sensitive cargo type.
By the way, you can get the following discounts from Progressive Trucking Insurance.
- CDL Discount: This is the easiest-to-get discount while getting insurance from Progressive Trucking Insurance. You need to have a commercial driver’s license for the past two years.
- Business Experience Discount: Progressive Trucking Insurance will also cut down the premium if you have been active in the business for more than three years.
- Upfront Payment Discount: You can get up to a 15% discount by choosing to pay the policy in full instead of monthly premiums.
While there are not many discount options, the available ones are pretty great.
Customer service is an essential thing in commercial auto insurance. There is no exception when you get truck insurance from Progressive Trucking Insurance, either.
Fortunately, Progressive Commercial has been offering some of the best customer service options for a few decades. They have converted these options for a digital-first world as well. There are a few things we noticed the most.
- 24/7 Support ensures that you can clear all your doubts through a simple phone call. It is excellent to get support anytime and anywhere you want.
- Because Progressive Commercial has been in the industry for quite a while, you can expect the support team to understand your specific issues.
- The immediate policy service section of Progressive Trucking Insurance can help you with needs such as making payments, policy changes, document management, etc.
- Last but not least, Progressive Trucking Insurance allows you to use the online customer service for bill payments, claim reports, document management, etc.
As you can see, the customer service section of Progressive Trucking Insurance is quite impressive. It follows a wholesome design that can give you peace of mind and maximum control.
How Does It Compare to Competition?
Here are a few factors that make Progressive Trucking Insurance different from competitors in the market.
- Compared to the average rates of commercial auto insurance, Progressive Trucking Insurance does not charge much. On top of this, you can use the different discount methods to save a lot of money. For instance, you can save up to a whopping 15% by paying the amount upfront.
- It is also great that Progressive Trucking Insurance allows you to customize and choose from various truck insurance options. You can make this choice by deciding the level of protection you need in case of accidents.
- Progressive Commercial also offers customized packages in the long run. These can help you save a lot of money and ensure maximum protection. For instance, you can combine comprehensive and theft-fire-based insurance for best-in-class coverage.
- In addition to keeping everything transparent, Progressive Trucking Insurance allows different ways to reach the support team. You can choose between a phone call, digital, and other channels as you wish. It is great to have such control when it comes to insurance claims and disbursal.
- Last but not least, Progressive Trucking Insurance considers quite a few factors when determining the monthly premium. It is just amazing that you can save money on commercial auto insurance by having a decent driving history.
We believe these factors make Progressive Trucking Insurance more popular than others.
Altogether, Progressive Trucking Insurance seems to be an excellent choice for everyone who owns a truck.
Even if you have an entire fleet of trucks you want to protect, the packages from the company are just superb. It is also significant that you do not have to pay a lot of money for the quality features.
In short, you can consider the insurance packages from Progressive Trucking Insurance with confidence.